Which Incontinence Products Does Your Senior Need
There is a wide variety of incontinence products available out there and it can be hard to figure out which solution is best for your senior. Factors such as activity level, level of protection needed, gender, and size should all be taken into account when considering products. Here is a brief description of some different products that can be helpful when trying to make a decision.
- Diapers and briefs: These products are highly absorbent and are secured by side fasteners. The side fasteners are ideal if your senior needs assistance getting them on and off. Because of their high absorbency, these are ideal for seniors with heavy to complete loss of bladder or bowel control. Diapers and briefs are generally recommended for elderly individuals with little to no activity.
- Adult Pull-Ups: These products have the same absorbency as diapers and briefs, but are ideal for a more active and independent individual. Instead of being secured with side tabs, they are pulled on and off, like you would with regular underwear. These are close fitting and discreet, which provides maximum protection against leaks for active individuals. These products are recommended for seniors with little to no bladder control, but wish to continue an active lifestyle.
- Reusable Underwear: Reusable underwear may be a good option for active seniors with light to moderate loss of bladder control. Similar to adult pull-ups, they provide full coverage and maximum leak protection. They are softer and more comfortable than the disposable pull-ups, but tend to be bulky and less absorbent.
- Undergarments: This category includes both beltless undergarments and belted shields. These products are discreet and provide high leakage protection. Beltless undergarments are worn inside of underwear, while belted shields can be worn inside of underwear or replace it completely. Both options are less bulky than adult pull-ups and reusable underwear are recommended for seniors with little to no bladder control.
- Shields, Liners, and Pads: These are a variety of products that all serve the same purpose. They are all ideal for an independent, active individual with moderate to light loss of bladder control. They are form-fitting, discreet and are placed inside of underwear. They feature adhesive strips to help hold them in place and are easy to remove and replace.
- Underpads: These products simply provide additional protection to bedding, sofas, chairs, and other surfaces. These absorbent pads are flat and rectangular and simply go underneath the individual and on top of the surface they are sitting on. The can be useful for seniors with all degrees of incontinence.
- Mattress Covers: These are similar to underpads, as they just provide the bed with another level of protection against leakage. Mattress covers are quilted, waterproof sheets and recommended for all levels of incontinence.
- Skin Care: Regardless of what products your senior is using, having the right skin care products is crucial. Urine can be harmful to the skin, which can cause injuries and infections over time if the skin is not properly cared for. Some important products in the skin care category includemoisturizing creams and skin cleansers. The moisturizing cream provides protection against skin breakdown and promotes healing for damaged skin. The skin cleansers and incontinence washcloths are used to clean, neutralize, and deodorize skin from urine, while being gentle and not doing any further damage.
There are many ways to prevent and treat the damage caused by incontinence. We at Senior Home Advocates are committed to providing excellent service and quality products to the seniors and the families we serve. To learn more detailed information on how to care for your incontinent loved one download our free Educational eBook or call (714) 921-9200.